Parallel parking is an art, but it’s not impossible. The basic elements of parallel parking are simple:
- Go backward. Don’t even try to parallel park going forward.
- Turn your head, and use your mirrors. In other words: Use Both.
- Look over your right shoulder, not out the window to your left.
- Start even with the car you’ll be parked behind.
Step By Step Guide to Fucking Parallel Parking:
- Pull up next to the car you’re parking behind, even with their back bumper, and about 18″-24″ away.
- Begin backing up slowly, and turn the steering wheel all the way to the right. Watch your right-hand mirror, and make sure your car will not hit the back-left corner of theirs.
- Once you’re angled into the open space, straighten your wheel, and back into the space. You should be aiming for the curb, about half-way through the open space.
- When you’re about 3 feet from the curb, turn your wheel sharply, all the way to the left.
- As you continue to back slowly in, watch the front right corner of your car, and make sure you don’t hit the car in front.
- Once clear of the car in front, use a combination of your rear-view mirror, side mirrors, and looking over your right shoulder, to back squarely into the space, optimally about 12 inches (and no more than 18 inches) from the curb.
- Center yourself in the open space.
- Get out and admire your handiwork.
Important things to remember when Parallel Parking:
- Go Slow.
- Start your turns early.
- Practice. You need to have a feel for the size of your car to park effectively.
- If you’re not properly aligned, pull out and start again. This is pretty much true for anything in life.
Follow / Share / Like us!